Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Love So Beautiful - Chapter 5


Disclaimer: These characters are the sole property of Stephenie Meyer. I am just messing around with them.
A/N I don’t have a pre-reader or a Beta or anything of the sort. All mistakes are mine and mine alone.
-x-X-x-

A Love So Beautiful
Hertfordshire, England 1889.

There’s a weeping willow outside my window. As a small child, whenever I visited Masen House, I would sit by the window. I would allow the sounds of the weeping willow swaying with the wind to lull me into peaceful place only books had taken me before.

The weeping willow was my companion many afternoons when I was feeling lonely, or sad, or melancholic. As I sit here, before that old window, it’s the first time I find no comfort in the soft music the willow branches make.

I’m numb, there’s no feeling left in me but a choking sensation of desolation. I feel as if I’m drowning, below a wall of water that pushes me under. The harder I kick and fight to reach the surface the further I sink.

After making her announcement my mother invented an excuse to send Victoria away. I did not hear what my mother said to Victoria, but I’m thankful for her intervention. The instant Victoria left, unwanted tears sprang from my eyes. They have not stopped falling ever since.

“Sweetheart,” my mother croons from somewhere near me. I know she’s there, expectant, watchful of my emotional state. I’m frozen though— petrified by my own despair— that I can’t focus on her long enough to utter a reply.

I feel her wrapping me in her arms at the same time I feel my consciousness being engulfed by a deep darkness.

-x-X-x-

“I think it’s best if we leave. I can’t be held accountable for my reaction the next time I encounter Lord Cullen.”

“Hush, Charles! We don’t want to wake her. She needs to rest. I’m so worried about her. I still remember how intense my reactions were when I was her age. I can’t imagine the pain she’s feeling over this most unsettling news.”

I slowly feel my mind coming into focus. The blurred edges of my consciousness being released from the fog that had clouded it.

I can hear my parents arguing in hushed voices. For a moment I lay confused. My thoughts are scrambled and I can’t remember why I’m lying in bed when I can see sunshine filtering through the curtains.

Then, in a deluge, all the painful memories return, flooding me with an intense sense of anguish. I feel as if my pain is choking me, squeezing my chest with a heavy weight I can’t seem to lift off me.

“She’s awake,” I hear my mother’s voice say.

“How are you my darling?” My father asks. He’s standing next to my mother wearing a mask of calmness. I remember what I heard before I was fully awake and know it’s all an act for my benefit.

I don’t reply. There’s no answer I can give. Not one that will ease the worry from him at least.

“Sweetheart, your father has instructed the servants that they should pack our belongings. We think it’s best if we leave before…” my mother trails.

She doesn’t need to say what is the “before” that we should avoid. I don’t want to think about the implications of said “before.” “Before” is all I have, because “afterwards” is filled with nothingness for me.

“No,” I say in a whisper. My voice is hoarse and foreign to me. Empty.

“Bella, sweetheart, we need to leave. It may create some talk but the situation would only be further complicated if you faint in front of all the guests. You’re not feeling well and it’s no use to stay. It will only make things more painful,” my mother urges me in a soothing but strained voice.

“No,” I repeat in a stronger voice. “I need to talk to him. There has to be a way. I need—"

“There’s nothing more that can be done,” my father interrupts. “I’ve offered Lord Cullen a fortune. A dowry so large, only a king would dream of ever giving his daughter. Lord Cullen has refused vehemently. He prefers the standard dowry Lord Whitlock-Hale can provide along with a viscountship. No amount of money will entice him to change his mind about the subject.”

I feel as If I’m breaking at my father’s frank but hurtful words. I still have to fight though. There’s something in me that doesn’t let me renounce my dreams without trying every avenue, every possible solution.

“Father, if Edward were to relinquish everything and marry me. Would you aid us? Would you help us?”

My father looks at me, solemn and impassive, a true fortress in the midst of my stormy feelings. He simply nods.

“We would have to leave England and return to America. No one would accept you after the scandal of Edward and Lady Victoria’s broken engagement surfaces. You’d be scorned by society, my child. Edward would be considered honourless and his family humiliated,” my mother observes, sharing an apprehensive look with my father.

“I don’t care,” I state firmly. “If I have you and poppa on my side I don’t need anyone else.”

I try to rise from bed, but I feel lightheaded. My mother helps me sit against the pillows.
“Rest, my child. We’ll bring Edward to you.”

I sigh as in relief but there’s no relief for me until I see Edward. Until I can convince him to leave everything behind, for me, for us. It’s the only solution I can think of.

-x-X-x-

The next time I open my eyes I can’t help the smile that forms at the corners of my mouth. I’m greeted by green eyes. The same green eyes I want to see when I take my last breath sometime in the future, after a lifetime together.

“Edward,” I whisper as I caress his face. His cheek is rough with his morning stubble. He has not shaved and his eyes are bloodshot. He knows of the engagement. I can see it in is lifeless expression.

He kisses my lips lightly and I can savour the salt of the tears he won’t allow himself to cry in front of me.

“You father said you needed to discuss something with me,” he says as he takes one of my hands in his and rubs lazy circles with his thumb over the back of it. He’s staring at my hand fixedly, refusing to meet my eyes.

He seems lost and so, so small. He seems defeated, resigned. I won’t allow it.

“Look at me, Edward!” I demand in the firmest voice I’ve mustered ever since this whole debacle started.

He looks at me hesitantly, disoriented, as if I’ve shaken him from some dark corner of his mind in which he was hiding.

“Don’t yield to your father’s desires! Don’t surrender your life to his wishes, to his way of thinking! Don’t make the same mistake Alice made.”  I’m almost crying now. I can’t allow him to think he’s without options. We have one option left.

He doesn’t reply. He just looks at me as if his heart is breaking inside his chest. I know him well enough to recognize he can’t see any light at the end of this tunnel.

“Listen to me,” I beseech him. “I’ve spoken to my father. He says that if you’re willing to marry me immediately we can still be together. He will support us. He will help us even if your family rejects us. We can go to America. I’ll show you my old house in New York. We can spend our summers in my aunt’s house in Martha’s Vineyard. We can ride horses on the beach. You can teach me to ride with both legs on each side of the horse, on a normal saddle, like you always wanted. No one would judge us there. No one would point their fingers at us. Money rules in America, not nobility titles like here. Whoever has the most money is the one that’s most respected. We’ll be so happy.” I finish in a trembling voice. I’m so vulnerable right now. I’ve shown all my cards and now I’m waiting for The Fates to show theirs. This is a hand I cannot lose.

Edward rises and walks towards the same window, the same window facing the weeping willow I was staring at this morning.

Long moments pass. My heart is beating so fast inside my chest I feel as if it wants to run away from me. Finally, after what seems like an eternity Edward speaks.

“I can’t,” he whispers in a soft voice.

“I don’t understand,” I say, my voice unsteady.

“My family would be ruined. No one would respect my father. My sister would be reviled and considered person non-grata at every society ball. They would all be humiliated and have to spend the rest of their lives in seclusion. I can’t do that to all of them. I can’t break my mother’s heart that way.”

“No!” I cry out as I rise from bed and walk towards where Edward is standing. I wrap my arms tightly, with all my strength, around Edward’s waist. I can feel him breathing harshly. I can hear his heart beating at full speed.

“I won’t let you…I won’t tolerate it. You won’t be a martyr of your father’s ambitions!” I say as small tears of anguish fall from my eyes unbidden, staining Edward’s shirt.

 Edward’s chest rumbles with a restrained sob. He unwraps my arms from his waist and turns to face me.

For an instant I believe I have convinced him. I believe I have broken through whatever spell, whatever words his father has put in his mind to make him forget his heart’s commitment to mine. However, when he releases both of my arms and walks towards the door I know I’ve lost.

He stands, his back to me, for a long time. He turns the doorknob and starts to open the door without another word.

Gloom like I’ve never felt before grips at me and I say as loud as I can manage in my weakened state, “I don’t know who you are anymore, but you’re not my Edward. My Edward would have fought for us until his last breath.”

“Maybe you never knew me,” he whispers before he leaves.

-x-X-x-

Dude, I’m emo now… Ever had a bad breakup like that? A breakup that leaves you wondering if that other person really loved you enough to fight for you?

Er… I did mention this would have angst, right? Who is hating on Carlisle right now? Raise your hands!

*hides under a rock*


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More